We got felt paper covering our roof literally 5 hours before it rained! We did it!
Many carpenters seem to consider a house "dried in" when the roof is covered with thick felt paper and keeps water out. That is what we got done. Considering that the roof is HUGE, this is quite an accomplishment. We developed a great system too. I stayed on the ground and set up a cutting station, John called out the exact sizes and I cut them and handed them up. this turned out to be SO much easier than dealing with the heavy full roll on the steep roof. For those of you who do not know me well, ( or haven't met me, as you only need to meet me to know this) I am fairly accident prone. I have knocked my teeth out more times than I care to admit. ( a thank you shout out to my parents who continually bought me more teeth) This being said, John and I felt like it just wasn't the best idea for me to go up on the roof. I went up on the shop roof to install the paper and roofing, but that roof was a 4 in 12 and this roof is a 9 in 12. That means that the roof gains 9 inches of steepness every 12 inches. I was scared. John was awesome. Here's a shot.
The next steps to drying in are getting all of the windows in. We started the process with the two windows we already had. The remaining windows arrived today. I will show you the pictures of the two we have done, but the next post will focus solely on installing windows properly, so I won't say much at this time.
This window was a salvage score! All bronze and flips open all the way around! That window just keeps going until it does a full 180. Thick double paned glass. the only catch was that we had to figure out a way to frame it, as there were no connection points and no simple way of installing. We put our heads together and came up with a plan that I am sure will stand the test of forever.
This is another salvage yard find. Vinyl exterior and wood interior, double paned and beautiful bronze casement handles. It is 6 ft long by 4 ft high.
So we will install the rest of the windows this week ( look forward to all the details) and by the time we finish that, the metal roof will have arrived in pieces. That will be the next step, and then wrapping the house with felt paper and putting up siding. That will conclude the "drying in" portion completely. We are hoping to get all of that done by Halloween.
So.... I also got a new bathroom door. Well, a really old awesome new to me bathroom door. Since we have only ONE interior door I think it should be pretty spectacular. I found it. It is one half of a french door set so it is a little on the smaller side ( 27.5 inches wide by 79 inches tall) and came from a historic union building.
It has leaded glass with a crazy pattern. The glass is thick and wavy on one side and detailed on the other. I am in love with it. I started stripping it...... and it is Doug fir! It matches the new doors we bought perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better door.
Here is the glass detail.
We are working alone now. Our framers are done, our septic is close (I am going to let john take over that conversation as he is the one dealing with all the details.) and it is up to us now to get everything else to line up. It seems like someone shot off a racing pistol. All of a sudden we could just GO! on everything all at once. It is very very exciting. And super fun. Thanks for coming along on the ride.
I am on the lookout for stair rail metal. If anyone has something like this.....
Let me know!