Today we feel like Master Framers. Seriously.
We got all four walls finished last night after finally making a door decision. We has issues with our ideas about doors. We scored these totally awesome french doors on craigslist, for free, about a year ago and I was very excited to use them. We failed to tell the guy doing the foundation and so the opening was slightly smaller than we wanted it to be. Oops. The next problem was with the height of the doors. Part of their charm is the fact that they are 94" tall. This raised problems with the height of the walls and the cap plate that has to go all the way around and tie all the walls together. John and I hatched a plan that would put the header above the cap plate, but it would nearly certainly not pass inspection. We thought about cutting the doors, but they are mostly glass and cutting would have compromised the integrity. So, we bought new doors that fit and are already pre-hung. But not before we spent two days trying to get the free doors to work.
With that settled we were able to get all the walls framed out last night. So today we arrived ready to plumb and align the walls and then install the cap plate. We had in ingenious little system to align the walls. It looked like this:
Once all the walls were plumb and the cap plates in place, tying all the walls together and making sure to always overlap the joints, it was time to sheath. We somehow thought this was going to just FLY up. I think we thought that because it seemed like such an easy task compared with learning to frame. You know, just nail up 4x8's. Done. It was not that easy. We messed up somewhere in the framing ( to be analyzed at a later date) and so the ends did not end on studs, as we thought they would. So each piece had to be held up in place, leveled and marked, and then taken down and cut to a custom length. After a few we got into a really nice rhythm and did succeed in getting half of the 4x8's in place. It really shored up the walls and the shop is really starting to look like a building! Yay! Here we are at the half-way point.
Tomorrow we will put the second set up and then we get to think about the ridge beam and rafters. Now, THAT is going to be fun. Also, our wedding will be happening very very soon on the property and we have to figure out how to make it look like less of a construction site. We still have failed to take picture of our finished house foundation but, I swear, it is coming!